Everything was well plan and budgeted. already book from airfare to accommodation and its not even a dummy documentation. Expenses were already incurred, emotions invested and “hear yeah people listen up im gonna tell you this adventure” mortified feelings. The world shattered right in front of my face as the staff in Japan Embassy told me this horrible news;
“Your visa was not approved. I’m sorry. You can apply again after 6months”
I thought it was a joke. i stop for a second waiting for him to crack and snap me back to the present. But no. There’s no getting back of words. I cant believe i was denied and i keep on asking him how about my expenses. i already have expenses. (Yeah that’s how accountant thinks) i asked him what went wrong, do i need to provide additional requirements, or even ask for interview appointment. The Embassy will not disclose further and decisions (of the Consulate) was final. He just gave me a simple nod and a sad face hinting that conversation was over.
Basically the following are the list of ORIGINAL documents to be submitted for a short-term stay if you apply as a Tourist;
- Copy of Passport (including UAE visa)
- Visa application form
- 2×2 recent photo (white background)
- Copy of confirmation of flight booking
- Copy of confirmation of hotel booking
- Certificate of employment
- Documents to prove stable financial status
- Salary certificate ( job position, monthly salary and leave period must be specifically stated)
- Bank Statements (Latest 3 months)
- Travel Itinerary, Leaflets,Flyers
- Proof of current billing address (Etisalat, Du, water or electricity bill, contract of tenancy, etc.)
I complied the mention list sufficiently upon submission. It was accepted. 6days to process and after that, Hello from the other side. I thought that’s how it works – once accepted wait until printed. No. IT.WAS.DENIED. Foremost i had no idea why my application was denied. But then this could be the reason/loopholes of my papers;
- My UAE temporary resident visa will expire coming end of January 2017, thats 5 months to go.
- I did not provide my own proof of current billing address. i only submitted a copy of my brother’s in Dubai since i dont have any contract of tenancy here in my place in Abu Dhabi. During the submission, it was accepted and i thought that would suffice the requirement.
- I applied for a tourist visa. My original application was a Visa invited by a friend since it was really a tour c/o Kathy (Osaka) and Te Johanna (Tokyo). But then i thought of my brother, who will also travel with me. He cant provide a proof of friendship (logs, emails, photos) so next option prevails. Why this could be a glitch? It was on my itinerary to meet the two and could be a question from the Embassy why i did not apply for an obvious visa.
- My airfare and accommodation bookings are all from brother’s credit card. They might conclude a financial incapacitated traveler, i guess, unless we submit the application together and/or travel together. Brother’s annual leave is still a 50/50. My luck of getting a visa is his Go or Nothing sign. obviously not at all for him.
So yeah my very first tour abroad is not meant to be. It was very frustrating but then it gives me a lot of reason to travel places on my own- no agencies, no tour packages just internet and long patience for planning. Hearing rejection stories from friends, too whose residing in Japan inspires to pursue and check what has been the first on my list. This whole experience even though i haven’t been on Japan literally i knew for a fact that i have a handful lot of knowledge about the Land of the Rising Sun. See you next year and next year until i get enough of you, Japan!